The Manager, Municipal Sales
POSITION SUMMARY: The Manager, Municipal Sales is responsible for the development and implementation of the division sales strategy for municipal contract extensions, retentions, and new business of municipal hauling and homeowner association sales opportunities, to ensure growth, retention, and quality of revenue in the division/ area. The Manager, Municipal Sales also prospects, sells, and participates in account management and retention activities to ensure the long term targeted, profitable sales growth of municipal hauling and homeowners’ association business, as well as supports and manages the government affairs activities in the assigned division.
- Prospects, sells and proactively manages the business relationship within an assigned division for the municipal market. Negotiates pricing and contracts, including contract extensions, as appropriate. Ensures that all approved contract terms are met.
- Attends bid conferences as necessary. Prepares and delivers responses to RFP’s and bids, as well as, sales presentations and follows up directly with key decision-makers.
- Develops and implements comprehensive account plans (sales, marketing and service programs/strategies) to achieve annual sales and profit objectives within the assigned territory. Involves the Area President and/or General Manager in sales and government relation’s activities as needed.
- Meets regularly with key decision-makers within assigned municipalities, state and federal agencies to enhance the company’s position and continuously bring value-added services to the relationship.
- Conducts on-site client reviews continually to ensure that quality service is effectively delivered, documents deficiencies and effectively recommends corrective action to operations team as appropriate.
- Maintains an awareness of market dynamics and competitors’ activity in areas where the company conducts business. Attends industry trade shows and participates in local or state industry associations and trade groups. Develops/implements approved strategies and activities to increase account penetration; satisfaction to ensure profitable client retention.
- Meets with operations management as appropriate to coordinate sales, surveys, and service efforts for assigned accounts/territory. Must be politically astute in daily dealings with client family.
- Meets with Pricing; Corporate Development teams, as appropriate, to coordinate proforma development for new, extension and retention opportunities, and may assist in the collection and/or accounting adjustments with delinquent accounts.
- May seek out and coordinate development of new solid waste infrastructure projects and manages projects through the development cycle and conclusion, working in coordination with Corporate Development.
- Prepares and maintains all sales documentation (Blue sheets, Sales Funnel, Client Profile, etc.) by populating and maintaining the CRM system on a weekly basis.
- Attends council and/or board meetings as necessary.
- Prepares and delivers responses to customer issues and follows up directly with key decision-makers.
- Meets regularly with key decision-makers within assigned municipalities, state and federal agencies to enhance the Company's position and continuously bring value-added services to the franchise relationship.
- Conducts on-going Municipal Waste Assessments to ensure that quality service is effectively delivered, documents deficiencies and recommends corrective action to operations team as appropriate.
- Maintains an awareness of market dynamics and competitors' activity in areas where the company conducts business. Attends local industry trade shows and participates in local chambers or other community associations and trade groups.
- Develops/implements approved strategies and activities to increase account penetration & satisfaction to ensure profitable customer retention.
- Meets with operations management as appropriate to coordinate on problem resolution and customer service efforts for assigned accounts/territory.
- Maintains awareness of political and social issues impacting customers and strategy.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of all facets of sales strategy and implementation including market research, customer prospecting, sales promotion and customer retention strategies. Will be required to complete municipal sales training programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks.
- Sales or customer relationship experience.
- Governmental sales experience.
- Waste or environmental services industry experience.
- Past service as an elected government official.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in government sales or relations activities and customer contact position, government relations and customer contact position or the waste industry as a sales manager or similar position.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in: • Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage. • Health care and dependent care spending accounts. • Short- and long-term disability. • Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance. • Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP). • Employee discount programs. • 401(k) plan with a generous company match. • Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).